The security deposit can be used to restore the property back to its original condition, minus normal wear and tear. It can also be used for unpaid rents, late fees, legal fees or other delinquencies.
Examples of things that the security deposit can be used to cover include:
- Stained or damaged carpet or flooring
- Broken microwave glass or front panel.
- Damaged or missing blinds.
- Stained garage flooring from oil.
- Clogged sinks or drains due to any stoppage (hair, food…).
- Shower mold due to lack of regular cleanings.
- Broken windows.